The Yo-kai Medallium bio reads; "A Yo-kai who is always hungry and can make other tummies rumble...That's really about the only thing he can do."
Hungramps has the appearance of an elderly man, with a white mustache and large white eyebrows. He has a blue tongue and a single prominent tooth in his jaw. His most notable feature is his cone-shaped head, with the vertex being the top of his head. He wears a gray kimono, a blue obi and one-toothed geta sandals with white tabi. He is usually seen with a small drool on the left side of his mouth and his right index finger on the right side.
In the anime, Hungramps is an old man. He appears to be lost in thought most of the time. He falls asleep quickly and wakes up short after.
A running gag in most of his later appearances is his notorious hunger and craving for food-themed Yo-kai like Wotchagot and Pride Shrimp, or at least animal Yo-kai who could serve as food, like Spenp. Once he senses the presence of Yo-kai like these, and/or at lunch time, he approaches them, and proceeds to eat them. Due to this, he is infamously known as one of the terrifying Yo-kai from the Eating clan.
Back when Hungramps was alive he had a granddaughter who he loves very much. When his granddaughter grew she hung out with her grandpa less often. When Hungramps died he turned into a Yo-kai and waited to see her granddaughter's face. In episode 4 of the anime he saw his granddaughter again as a teenager, and she stated that she did want to hang out with him. In episode 59, his granddaughter promised him that she would study hard in order to become a doctor to cure his illness. Seconds before they linked pinkies, Hungramps died. After his death, his granddaughter continued her studies in order to fulfill that very promise.
Hungramps had a relationship with Tattletell, as shown when she tried to attack him and he offered her a beverage.
Hungramps formed a friendship with Grubsnitch, since both Yo-kai has an insatiable hunger, which leads to them seeking for food-themed Yo-kai and devours him. In the White and Red Song Battle, they even form a unit named "Tabemono Gakari" and compete on behalf of the Red team.
Hungramps is infamous among food Yo-kai like Wotchagot and Pride Shrimp for them continuously being victims of his hunger. In episode 88, he even turns out to be the culprit of the "food Yo-kai Murders", which caused his victims to lose their souls. Oddly enough, they seem to forgive him and on top of that they invite him to go out to eat. His hunger does not seem to limit to normal food Yo-kai, as in episode 103 goes to the mall at New Year in order to catch the recently spawned Spenp in order to eat it as miso.
Abilities and Powers
Hungramps has the ability to make people so hungry they might overeat when inspirited.
How to befriend
Hungramps can be found in Uptown Springdale, near the Shady Back Alley's trash cans.
Hungramps can be befriended in the process of completing a request.
- Freed from Crank-a-kai: "I was so hungry in there. Is this the part where we get some food together?"
- Befriended (Yo-kai Watch):"I'm so hungry. Be my pal and feed me. OK?"
- Loafing: "So...hungry..."
In the animeIn episode 4, Hungramps is haunting a convenience store which Katie passes by. His power makes her (and others) want to stop at the store and buy food. When she tells Nate about her craving, Nate accidentally insults her by saying she was getting fat.
Nate and Whisper then go to the convenience store to investigate, where they find Hungramps. Hungramps tells them that he has a reason for haunting the store, but he doesn't tell them, mainly because he then decided to nap.
Nate then calls Tattletell to possess him (though there was a slight delay when she and Hungramps had a bit of tea together). Then he reveals that he went to the store with his granddaughter when he was alive and she was a toddler. They really loved each other, but they grew apart, and he eventually passed away. He started to haunt the store after he died, with his hoping to meet her again being the reason why he became a Yo-Kai. He had to draw in everyone because he couldn't quite remember her face since he became a Yo-Kai.
Whisper then (quite bluntly) exclaimed that it was time for him to stop, and he does. However, just as he was about to leave, his granddaughter (now a teenager) arrives with a friend. The two were talking about Hungramps (more accurately her dead grandfather), and it warms his heart. Hungramps then gives Nate his medal in thanks.
- In episode 6, Nate calls Hungramps to serve as an ambassador and translator as he talks with Blazion before resorting to Happierre.
- In episode 14, Nate calls Hungramps to stop Dazzabel since he has a poor sense of fashion. Unfortunately, Dazzabel possess him, making dress up like a surfer (surfboard and all), and she ended up inspiriting Nate's mother as well.
- In episode 23, Nate has trouble stopping his mother from eating when she is possessed by Grubsnitch. So he calls Hungramps to help make her want to eat more. His plan works since Hungramps makes his mother too impatient to snitch food anymore, and Grubsnitch is defeated.
- When Hungramps takes elemental damage, he is treated as an Earth-attribute Yo-kai.
- "Hungramps" is a portmanteau of hungry and gramps.
- Himojii is a combination of himojii (Japanese: ひもじい "hungry") and jii (Japanese: 爺 "grandfather, old man").
- "Abuzampa" is a combination of abuelo ("grandpa") and "zampar" ("eat").
In other languages
- Japanese: ひも爺 Himojii
- Korean: 공복영감 Gongbongnyeonggam
- Spanish: Abuzampa
- German: Opa Gusto
- French: Grandpapeti
- Italian: Nonno Fame
- Portuguese (Brazil): Vovônorexia
- Chinese: 肚餓爺爺 (Hong Kong) or 空腹爺爺 (Taiwan)
- Arabic: شرهان