Robonyan is a robot-Cat hybrid Yo-kai. He has yellow eyes with a silver ring around them, has a red circle where Jibanyan has his blue bell, had a maroon jetpack worn on his back, where Jibanyan has the blue flame at the end of his tails is now a red flame. Robonyan is dark blue and gray instead of red and white, he has parts that attach to others to make his arms and legs and connect to his hands and feet.
Robonyan does not really have a personality - being a robot he can't display emotions. But he's still shown to have feline instincts, as he reacted like a cat would to B3-NK1's petting. Otherwise he has a tough, determined attitude.
In the anime, Robonyan is capable of traveling through time, has a built-in radar, and can transform into a race car. He has enough strength to stop a truck with one paw, and can even produce Choco-Bars from a compartment in his body.
In combat, instead of a technique like Jibanyan´s Paws of Fury, he uses the Rocket Punch attack, firing his paws like projectiles.
In the anime
Season 1 (as Robonyan)
In the anime, Robonyan is the future version of Jibanyan. He traveled to the time where Jibanyan was a Yo-kai living with Nate to tell him about what happens to him when he's in the future. Jibanyan disagreed with being a robot and didn't really believe he choose to be a robot. Robonyan convinces them that he is Jibanyan by showing how he has a built inside factory that makes chocolate bars and says that Jibanyan is the only one who would make such a design choice. He later tries to convince Jibanyan that it was a good choice that he made himself a robot by comparing their abilities. Jibanyan loses every time and soon starts telling himself that Robonyan is really great. Robonyan stayed the night with them and used the outlet to charge himself. The next morning, however, Nate's mom asking him what was he using last night and shows Nate that the electricity bills rose up by a shocking amount. Nate, Whisper, and Jibanyan turn to see Robonyan sinking into what looks like a portal waving to them and throws his medal to Nate before finally disappearing to his time much as their dismay.
In EP023, he confronts B3-NK1 whose weapon somehow feels ticklish to Robonyan. After several attempts from B3-NK1, Robonyan ultimately gives him the 1000th screw, thus upgrading B3-NK1's sword. The robot gives Nate his medal in gratitude even though he did not really do much. When it seemed like Robonyan was going to explode, he actually could function without his screw. Robonyan requests more tickling and gets what he wants, much to the annoyance of B3-NK1, Nate, Whisper, and Jibanyan. However, in the Japanese version, B3-NK1 did not mind tickling Robonyan some more.
In EP038, he attempts to help Nate get snacks so that his fellow students will want to trade with him. However, his mother instead helps out by giving him her cookies. Robonyan continues to create excess chocobars, much to the annoyance of Jibanyan. This marks the first time Robonyan fails Nate.
In EP044, he confronts Mimikin who incorrectly mimics Robonyan. Robonyan counters this by transforming into Mimikin and mimicking and embarrassing him, thus defeating him. When he was about to leave, Mimikin stops him because he has never anyone who can professionally mimic. Upon hearing his words, Robonyan decides to teach him how to properly mimic anyone. Mimikin gets better at what he does slowly and they both end the segment saying, "We'll be back!"
In EP062, he is requested to defeat Gargaros. However, he was really needed as Nate, Whisper, and Jibanyan end up arguing once again, thus boring the red Oni. Nate, Whisper, and Jibanyan celebrate their victory and continue to Banter's Bakery for melon bread. Robonyan, Sergeant Burly, and Sergeant Slug make their final comments, about Nate, Whisper, and Jibanyan's winning method. However, the mailman finishes his delivery and runs away from Nate's mom, who says her son is so grounded.
In EP068, he gives Mimikin his final exam by mimicking Nate for a whole day in class. He passes his student despite the fact he did not act as average as Nate is. On the next day, Mimikin continues to mimic Nate and cause Bear, Eddie, Nate's classmates, and even Katie to erupt with laughter. Robonyan compliments this to Nate, but the latter still dislikes it.
In EP074, he meets his future form, Robonyan F. Inspired by his more superior future counterpart, Robonyan ultimately upgrades himself and becomes Robonyan F near the end of the episode, much to the ultimate surprise of Nate and Whisper.
Season 2 (as Robonyan F)
Season 3 (as Robonyan F)
In EP161, both the original Robonyan and Robonyan F, along with other cat Yo-kai, were summoned all together due to Gojidatsujii's power changed the Robonyan F's Dream medal's name to 'Nyan'. Unfortunately, shortly after Gojidatsujii running away for his life, Nate accidentally said that he summoned all of them for nothing, thus unintentionally upsets the cat Yo-kai and this led to them proceed to beat up Nate and Whisper as the episode ends. During this end scene, both Robonyan and Robonyan F are one of those Yo-kai who didn't weld a shinai (a type of bamboo-made katana made for practicing kendo.) while beating up Nate and Whisper and in their cases, they are seen welding their light swords instead.
Original Robonyan F
At first, Robonyan was irritated that Robonyan F was superior to him in many different ways after he came from the future further than the period Robonyan was native to. However, after he detected the meteor incoming on Earth, F acknowledged his abilities and sacrifice himself to destroy the meteor as Robonyan watched in awe, calling him "senpai" in the Japanese version.
How to befriend
He can also be freed from the Crank-a-kai with 3DS Play Coins.
Robonyan can be befrinded automatically in a quest started by Toiletta in the Harrisville school. He can also be befriended during a quest in Breezy Hills.
- Befriended (Yo-kai Watch): "*whirrr* ...FRIEND...SHIP..."
- Loafing: "POWER SAVING."
- Receiving food (favorite): I LOVE THIS!!!
- Receiving food (normal):
- Receiving food (disliked):
- Being traded: "Nyo need to worry! I'm hear to lighten your load."
Quotes from the anime
- "I'll be back!"
- "I do not take up much space."
- "My comfort is of no concern to you, Nyate."
- "Recycling of course, I am very concerned about the environment."
- "*beep boop*" (Turn on the subtitles while Robonyan is on-screen.... There should be random text that says this... Most people who have witnessed it have absolutely no idea why.)
Robonyan's name is a contraction of "Robo" and "nyan".
- Robonyan is a parody of the T-800, the titular evil/heroic android model produced by Skynet in the Terminator franchise. As shown, both are robots from the future and are known for their signature catchphrase "I'll be back!" (which Robonyan uses mostly whenever he leaves through his portal). Also in the Japanese premier of the upcoming film Terminator: Genisys, Arnold Schwarzenegger is due to meet Robonyan.
- One of Robonyan's random nicknames is Arnold which refers to Arnold Schwarzenegger, who plays the signature T-800 model of Terminator. Another is J-8OO.
- Robonyan's ability to melt and shapeshift into anyone is a reference to the T-1000, the main antagonist of Terminator 2: Judgement Day.
- His theme music also evokes the Terminator theme.
- Robonyan's Rocket Punch is a reference to one of the Mazinger Z signature attacks.
- Robonyan's transformation into vehicles is a reference towards the Transformers series, a franchise both Hasbro and Takara Tomy own.
- The way Robonyan shouts out "Transform" is a nod for the Japanese translation of the series, as the Transformers character shout out when transforming between modes. This can also relate to "Transform and roll out" for the English.
- Robonyan's backstory of how he became a cyborg is similar to how the Cybermen from Doctor Who convert into cyborgs. Like Robonyan, they got their emotions removed and have blank stares to represent they're emotionless.
- The conversion unit that was used to convert Jibanyan is similar to the ones used by the Cybus Cybermen.
- He is voiced by Joey D'Auria.
- While in the first Yo-kai Watch game he speaks with a high-pitched voice, as well as in his Yo-kai medal toy, done by Danny Katiana (a regular on The Mr. Men Show; also directed by Mark Ristley); in Yo-kai Watch 2 his voice was changed to a deep one in order to match his voice in the anime; this also gets carried into his Z-medal toy, all with Joey D'Auria reprising his role.
- Robonyan is the only robotic doppelganger that belongs to a different tribe from his organic counterpart.
- When you battle against him at the Construction Site, there will always be two Signibbles next to him.
- Despite being a robotic counterpart to Jibanyan, he is the only Yo-kai who doesn't have a non-rare Yo-kai counterpart of himself.
- Robonyan's "random" nicknames in Yo-kai Watch 2 are: Robocat, Arnold, J-8OO, and Astro. (See Origin for Arnold and J-8OO)
- Astro is a reference to the titular character from Astro Boy.
In other languages
- Japanese: ロボニャン Robonyan
- Spanish: Robonyan
- French: Robonyan
- German: Robonyan
- Italian: Robonyan
- Portuguese: Robonyan
- Korean: 로보냥 Robonyang
- Chinese: Robot喵 (HK) or 機器喵 (TW)
- Arabic: روبونيان